Don’t get us wrong. We’re all about opportunities in London. But for those still waiting on bagging that perfect internship or job – maybe today, just today, breathe a tiny sigh of relif. It’s not a great day to be a commuter.
With RMT and TSSA unions striking over TFL’s plans to close all ticket offices and cut up to 950 jobs, London this morning was poised and ready to run at minimum service. But it’s business as usual for thousands of companies across the capital, and so, by hook or by crook, people were determined to carry on.
For those not in the centre of the action, here are ten photos that sum up the madness.
10. Crowds waiting for Finsbury Park to open
9. Passengers waiting on a train platform
8. Hopeful commuters gathering at Waterloo
7. Queues for replacement bus services
6. …as well as for the river services (though, boat to work? Don’t mind if we do…)
5. TFL staff attempt to point harrassed commuters in the right direction
4. The scene at the barriers inside the stations
3. And in the main stations themselves
2. Some people took to their cars, causing traffic jams through the city
1. And finally, in the carriage…
Good luck to anyone struggling to get into work today, and we hope the smell doesn’t linger…